Sunday, October 3, 2010

conference thoughts

i LOVE conference weekend, to reflect, to listen to our great leaders, and sit together with my family.
i have had a lot of thoughts this conference. as i do each session, but i have specifically this one.
it may or not be because i just received a new calling in my ward. Relief Society Teacher.
To some of you this might be your favorite calling in the church, as for me it has been the one and ONLY one that terrifies me. I found out last weekend, and i'm still not sure how i feel about it... i could go on and on... but i just want to say i'm grateful for the bishopric in our ward. In my meeting i had a good talk with one of our counselors, he could tell i was nervous (probably the tears gave that away...) but he told me if it will be a calling that will help me grow in this gospel than he knows i will be okay. I've thought a lot about that since. We've been taught all our lives that you accept calling and you try your best.. but it is not to terrify us and make us a nervous wreck and not want to attend church.  i KNOW that this will be so good for me. even if i don't see it right now, i know i will be grateful one day.
i already feel like i'm looking at things differently, that might sound weird, it has only been a week, but the conference talks were so good to me these past couple days. yes i've always watched them, listened to each one, jotted down a few notes.. but a few of the talks i felt as if they were talking to ME. I needed to hear those words and i hope that i can remember what they said and apply them to my lessons that i will be giving very soon.
 I could list the talks given, things that i learned, inspiring words that were said by our leaders, and you will probably agree, that each topic was so educational, so i am already looking forward to reading them in the ensign when they are printed in the ensign next month!
Now i'm now just blabbing... but i've had so many thoughts running through my head.
i might be an outgoing, social, talkative person... but NOT when i am in front of others giving a lesson/talk in church. I know that my Heavenly Father Loves me and knew that i needed to get over my fear.
i can also add that watching the General Relief Society broadcast, also gave me strength and that it doesn't matter your experience or knowledge in being a teacher.. it is the spirit you bring to your lessons.
with that, i will now have to learn how to do that!:)
so.... just wondering if i can get some feedback from YOU anyone that teaches can give me some teaching advice, things that you use in your lessons, information that you've read, websites, anything
will be greatly appreciated
 i know that i am in the same boat as many, and we are all sisters here to help each other out:)
i'm so grateful for the wonderful leaders i have had, who have taught me, and been examples to me in my life.
thank you.

4 comments:

The Belnaps said...

Ok so I've never had to teach anything but Primary..but getting up to do sharing time and conduct..can sometimes be hard...my only advice is to juct remember that we are all the same..most people are scared when it comes to teaching..some people may know more but that doesn't matter. Just remember that even though you may be younger than most of those ladies, we are all the very same with the same feelings, same fears, etc. You have such an amazing ward...those ladies will be rooting for you. Oh and prayer..that always helps :)

Cami said...

thanks for your comment, i know prayer will be a big help!

Josie said...

Cami, I had this calling when we were in 2nd ward and I LOVED it. It was really hard and I stressed a lot about it. But, I still look back on it fondly. I know I grew a lot and studied so hard. I was thinking just the other day about when I had that calling and I thought how great it would be if I could study that much always. The older ladies were so sweet and always complimented me on everything I did and said. They all told me I should be in YW though, not sure what that meant.
Anyway, my advice would be like you thought, just pray a lot and try to stick to the manual, even if it seems simple, I have learned the most important doctrines are the simple ones and people just don't seem to be "getting them". And, if you read the lessons a couple times, you will be amazed at how much info there is in there. :)
Wish I could be in there to listen. You'll do great!

Erin said...

Cami, I just read this post, and I've never taught RS, but I have taught Sunday school. As a teacher, and as a student, I think the best things are questions. I don't learn nearly as much from a lesson that is just plowed through, teacher talking the whole time, maybe people take turns reading, etc... I love, love, love it when a teacher asks lots of questions, gives people time to think, and the class teaches each other. Makes it easy on the teacher and so inspiring for the class.